Broughton parish serves an area with a growing population. As well as ministering to the whole community through its services.
The parish takes an active part in the Preston Deanery Synod and has close ties with Blackburn Cathedral and Blackburn Diocese. It is an active member of Churches Together in Fulwood and Broughton (CTFB) which welcomes newcomers to the area, distributes 12,000 Christmas cards and Easter leaflets detailing all of the services in the various neighbourhood churches, staffs an Information Desk at Royal Preston Hospital, and hosts joint services, courses and house groups. CTFB includes 3 Anglican, 3 Roman Catholic, 1 United Reformed and 1 Methodist churches.
The parish is served by a host of volunteers who give of their time to ensure that all premises are kept to a high standard, the churches and chapels are welcoming, and that the parish serves Broughton and Fulwood well.
- Standing Committee and Parochial Church Council
- Wardens, Deputy Wardens, Sacristans and Chapel Keepers
- Sunday School Teachers
- Land and Buildings Committee
- Communications Committee
- Social and Youth Committees
- Churchyard gardeners
- Church cleaners, set up teams, tea/coffee assistants
- Event organisers
- Bell ringers
- 70+ Sidesmen and women who welcome people to services.
In addition there are other active community and church organisations in the parish. e.g.:
- Mothers’ Union
- Women’s Fellowship
- Walkers and Talkers (rambling group)
- Uniformed Organisations – see Youth and Community
Broughton St. John Baptist is a Fair Trade parish and raises funds for Traidcraft.