Church Cottage Museum was restored in 1994 and officially opened in July 1995 by Princess Alexandra. The Restoration was financed largely through local fundraising by the Parish Church and Primary School supplemented by a generous grant from British Aerospace.

The Museum is laid out to tell the story of the Cottage building and its people. Originally constructed as a Tudor dwelling within an agricultural community, it has also been an Inn during the late 1600’s and 1700’s, a Victorian School Room and finally a family home once again during the 20th century.

The Cottage was built during the late 1500’s, on land given to the Parish of Broughton by two local landowners. The profit from letting the Cottage was to be used to pay for “a sober and discrete person” to be Schoolmaster. No such person could be found (!) and so the money raised was used to repair and maintain the bridge across Blundel Brook and local highways.


Museum exhibits include:

  • The “Peasants Hovel” and Sleeping Gallery
  • Church Inn
  • Victorian School Room
  • Parlour
  • Wash House
  • Cart Shed and Cottage Garden

The Museum presents a rich and unique learning resource depicting life through the last 450 years.

It is open to the Public on Sunday afternoons from 14.00 pm to 17.00 pm, except for Easter Sunday and during December when the Museum is closed for conservation repairs. There is a modest charge for admission of £ 2.00, but children are admitted free. Admission includes the services of a personal History Guide.

School visits for half or whole day, based around Tudor or Victorian themes including a workbook, (with or without History Guide) can be arranged and many Lancashire schools do so.
We also organise themed Tudor or Victorian evenings, including authentic dinners for parties of up to twelve.
Other Private visits can be arranged by prior appointment, i.e. Womens’ Institutes, Clubs, History Societies, etc.
Contact :
Paul Cross 01772 719394
Jean Miller 01772 718064
Robert Sparks 01772 862017
email : sparks10@btinternet.com