St. John Baptist
The parish of St. John Baptist is located to the North of the City of Preston on the A6, near Junction 1 of the M55, and serves the rural village of Broughton and the suburb of Fulwood. In terms of congregation size Broughton is one of the largest 200 Parishes in the UK (Brierly figures).
The parish church’s history began in the 12th century or before as a family chapel for the lord of the manor. The oldest part of the church is the tower dating from 1533 when Henry VIII was on the throne. The building has evolved from a wooden structure to a stone building remodelled numerous times over the centuries. The present nave was built in 1826 and the chancel added in 1906. Between 2006 and 2011 parishioners, with assistance from English Heritage, completed a significant restoration of the fabric and interior of the church at a total cost of £207,290.
It is possible to read much of the history of the parish and its people through the memorials, stained glass, and furniture within the church and the gravestones and ancient cottage in its grounds.*Location Map
St. Martin’s Chapel and Parish Hall
The decision to move forward with plans to redevelop the site of St Martin’s Chapel and Hall has been taken prayerfully and with careful consideration of all options.
The PCC has made the users of the building aware of the decision and has kept them informed throughout this past year. This has included holding a parish meeting chaired by the Diocesan Bishop late last year. Users of the facilities were invited.
The PCC is pleased to note that most of the users have already made alternative arrangements and many users have also said they are looking forward to returning to what will be a fantastic new facility, built for 21st century needs.
As charity trustees the PCC has a duty to ensure the best possible management of the assets they own to fully support their key aim which is, of course, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
There is an increasing difficulty in financing, managing and maintaining a 60-year-old facility and our professional advisers have recommended that extensive work would be required at considerable cost, just to maintain the current facility.
The PCC has a duty of care to respond to concerns and all independent professional assessments of the existing building have come to the same conclusion: that due to concerns over future safety certifications, the best way forward is to build new facilities that meet the Parish needs and are affordable, whilst also being available for local community use.Location Map
St. Peter’s Chapel
As Fulwood housing estates continued to expand, the parish joined in the sponsorship of a new primary school in the Broadwood Drive area. It was opened in 1976 and includes a chapel used by the school and the parish.
A Family Service is held at St. Peter’s each Sunday and there is a lively Sunday School.Location Map
*A History of St. John Baptist Church Broughton, by Brendan Hurley (2012) has provided all historical information on this website. Copies are available from the parish. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org